- 2 small zucchinis (about 500 grams), cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- oil for frying
For the Sauce:
- 2 tsps cornstarch
- 2 tsps + 1 tbsp water
- 2 tbsps soy sauce
- 2 tbsps brown sugar
- 2 tsps vinegar
- 1/4 tsp sesame oil
For the Toppings (optional):
- sesame seeds, roasted
- cashew nuts, chopped and roasted
- spring onion, chopped
- In a colander, toss the zucchini with the salt. Let it stand for 10 minutes to drain the excess water.
- In a small bowl, make a slurry with the cornstarch and the 2 tsps of water.
- Add the rest of the sauce ingredients to the slurry and mix well. Set aside.
- Once the zucchini has been drained of water, pat dry with a paper towel.
- Heat up enough oil in a frying pan to fry the zucchini chunks.
- Fry the zucchini until each side is browned. Set aside in a bowl.
- If there is a lot of oil left in the pan after frying the zucchini, remove some of the oil until only about a tsp of oil is left.
- Lower the heat before adding the minced garlic. Fry until you can smell the garlic, about 10-15 seconds.
- Add the rest of the sauce, stirring constantly to avoid burning it.
- Add the zucchini chunks and mix thoroughly to coat each chunk with the sauce.
- Remove from the heat and serve with the toppings chosen.
- If you are adding chili or bell peppers, add it with the garlic in step 8.
- If you are using gochujang, mix it with the sauce instead.