Here’s a quick and easy recipe for buttery butterscotch bars. Browned butter and toasted cashew nuts make this recipe a keeper. You can substitute other kinds of nuts if you like.
- 170 grams butter (1 1/2 sticks)
- 275 grams brown sugar (1 1/4 cups)
- 2 eggs, large
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 240 grams flour (2 cups)
- 100 grams cashew nuts, toasted and chopped
- Line an 8×8 baking pan with baking paper. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F.
- Sift baking powder and flour together.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, melt the butter until it bubbles and starts to clear up. Continue to cook while stirring with a spatula until it starts to smell toasty and nutty. Immediately remove from heat and transfer to a bowl to cool.
- Add the brown sugar, vanilla, and salt to the butter. Whisk until smooth.
- Add the eggs one at a time, whisking to mix after each addition.
- Fold in the flour and cashew until no flour streaks is visible. Do not over mix the batter.
- Pour onto the prepared baking pan and bake for 20-27 mins. For fudgy butterscotch bars, remove after 20-22 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool cutting.
- I baked mine until 27 minutes but they were still soft but not so fudgy.
- Put the cooled butterscotch in the fridge for 1-2 hours before slicing. This makes it easier to cut up in squares.
- If you want thicker butterscotch bars, use a smaller baking pan.
- You can use other types of nuts like walnuts, pecans, and pistachios.
Keywords: butterscotch, butterscotch bars